Garbage is collected weekly.
- Your garbage cart must be at your collection point on your collection day, by 6:00 a.m. each week.
- Customers are provided with a garbage cart, either a small, or a large cart. City crews deliver and maintain all carts.
- All garbage must be contained inside of the cart, with lid closed. No other type garbage cart is allowed to be used. Garbage is not collected from non-City garbage carts/cans.
- Two extra items may be disposed of each week. Items must be boxed, bundled, or bagged and placed next to your garbage cart. See Extra Garbage.
- Collection day is assigned by the Solid Waste & Recycling Division. Routes are created so the division works in the most cost-effective way. Therefore your day cannot be changed. Look up your collection day.
- In the winter, remember to shovel a 3 foot wide path to your cart, including snow left by the plow. See Snow Shoveling.
- When your collection day falls on or after a holiday, garbage collection will be one day later than normal. See the Holiday Schedule for more information.
What happens to my garbage?
None of your garbage goes into a landfill. City of Minneapolis garbage goes to the Hennepin Energy Recovery Center (HERC).
Located in downtown Minneapolis, the HERC facility uses mass burn technology to convert 365,000 tons of garbage a year into electricity that is sold to Xcel Energy, Inc.