Armatage Fire on Ice
Neighborhood Ice Skating Party
NEW DATE Saturday, January 28
Due to Mother Nature’s warm up this week, we are rescheduling for next weekend.
Join us down at Armatage Park our annual Fire on Ice Skating Party!! Grab your mittens and hat for this outdoor neighborhood celebration. Enjoy a night with family and friends skating and a variety of outdoor activities or keep warm with hot chocolate and bonfire. No registration required, just come on down!
January Meeting Highlights
- Update from Park Board Commissioner, Brad Bourn
- The Washburn Tot Lot is being evaluated this year for improvements (neighborhood input will be solicited)
- Ash tree removal update. Ash trees marked with a green X will be removed within the next week. Those with a green circle will be removed in the next month. They are removing about 20% of the ash trees this year and are working hard to not clear cut any block.
- Update from City Council Member, Linea Palmisano
- A change to the City Charter passed in regards to the handling of bonds
- The Audit Committee is adding a Park Board seat
- Public discussions regarding the Minimum Wage issue will be taking place (watch for more info)
- Update from the Park Director, Nikki Friederich
- Because of the warm weather, she is suggestion we reschedule the Fire on Ice event
- Wednesdays starting in February there will be a new family yoga class
- The Armatage Movie in the Park will show on Monday, June 19 and is “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure”
- Updates from the ANA
- We will be continuing our efforts to better connect with renters in the neighborhood and hope to schedule more events with residents and landlords
- Happy hour feedback is encouraging us to try hosting a later event (perhaps starting at 8pm)
- The four neighborhoods involved in the FixIt Loan program have all agreed to add additional funds to the program and should have these funds available to residents soon
File your taxes for free!
Prepare + Prosper is a local nonprofit that provides free tax preparation, financial services, and financial coaching to individual and families. Their IRS-certified volunteers will get you the maximum refund. From January 21 to April 15, they operate eight tax sites in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Hopkins, and Bloomington. They are based in St. Paul year-round. For more information or to make an appointment, contact Prepare + Prosper at 651-287-0187 or www.prepareandprosper.org.
Home Stretch Workshop
Umoja Community Development, a nonprofit focused on community development and increasing homeownership, is hosting our monthly homebuyer education class this weekend. It covers everything from choosing a realtor to conducting inspections. It’s definitely an essential for anyone looking to buy!
We’re offering a discount to any clients who sign up through their neighborhood organization! If you’d be willing forward this information to your community, that would be a huge help.
We will also be hosting a class every month in 2017 — dates can be found on our website and registration will go live on Saturday!
If you have interested residents or staff, they can use the discount code Neighborhood50 on the registration page.
Additional information can be found on our website