May Annual Meeting Highlights
- Council Member Palmisano presented an overview of much of the recent work at City Hall.
- Bike Fixtation shared the story of how they came to be, and described the repair stations and equipment they have developed including self-service kiosks at transit hubs. You can find their stations across the metro on Zap.
- Perennial Cycle brought in bikes to demonstrate some of cool and efficient ways you can carry things on your bike, from laptop to a bag of groceries and more!
- We got a surprise visit from Marion Green our Hennepin County district representative.
- Great information was shared about the Midtown Greenway project and their upcoming Greenway Glow event (which is looking for artists!).
- Neighbors were able to learn about the Cycling Museum of Minnesota which got a nice write-up in the Strib.
- The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition shared information about protected bikeways and advocates for safe routes for cyclists. Plus has been very busy during Bike Week which is this week!
- A variety of biking maps were available for attendees (and some extras are available at the park).
We are also excited to have Ryan Antkowiak and Michael Kootsikas as new board members with the ANA! Thanks to Ryan and Michael for volunteering – and to all our great board members who continue to work on behalf of the neighborhood. Some projects and initiatives the board is working on include:
- Expanding park opportunities for older residents
- Supporting the organics recycling program from the City (including hosting a workshop on Saturday, June 11 from 1-2:30pm at the park!)
- Finding ways to connect with property owners and renters in the area
- Improvements at the park and supporting park events
- Celebrating our 25th anniversary
- Connecting with neighbors in new ways (including hosting occasional happy hours, etc.)
Your ideas and input are always welcome and valued as Armatage residents! Help us spend $ the way that has the most impact and helps to improve our wonderful corner of Minneapolis.
54th Street Construction
The Department of Public Works will hold an informational meeting to address any questions that you may have about the 54th St W Reconstruction project construction. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will be located at:
1501 W 54th St
Minneapolis, MN 55419
You can sign up for regular project email updates via GovDelivery and find out additional information on the project website: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/2016/WCMS1P-132238.
Tree Trust Distibution – help needed!
As a resident of the Armatage Neighborhood, you are probably familiar with the annual Minneapolis City Trees distribution which Tree Trust facilitates for the City of Minneapolis. In fact, the Armatage Neighborhood has been one of the top participating neighborhoods to get trees so we’re hoping you may be interested in “giving back” by volunteering at the distribution.
We are specifically looking for volunteers to help at the Tree Distribution on Sunday afternoon, May 22 from 11 AM – 2:30 PM. We need volunteers to assist with pointing people in the right direction, and others who are good lifters (<30 lbs.) to help load trees into vehicles. This is a fun and very busy event, and a great opportunity to interact with others from Minneapolis who are excited to take home their new tree!
The Distribution is held at the Minneapolis Impound Lot at 51 Colfax Ave North. Food and refreshments will be provided for all volunteers.
To sign up, please email Tate Vaughan at email@example.com or call her at 952-767-3919.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Week 1 (June 28-30) #61465
- Week 2 (July 19-21) #61466
- Week 3 (August 9-11) #61467
Monday, August 8 • 6-8:30 pm • FREE at the Armatage Summer Festival
3rd Lair expert lead instructors will provide hands-on instruction to skateboard participants of all levels. Through small group instruction and fun activities each participant will become more comfortable on their boards. Instructors will also work with the campers to help set personal goals they will work to attain each day.
Saturday, June 11 • 1-2:30pm
Armatage Rec Center
You have a green can – now what?
Come learn from the experts about organics recycling (city-wide composting).
• Hear about the benefits of this service
• Learn what can go in your free compost bin and what not to compost
• Get tips on setting up your home recycling system from neighbors
• Armatage neighbors attending will receive free compost bags!
• Kids welcome! Fun crafts and games to play!
• Light snacks will be provided
Haven’t sign-up to get your organics can yet?
Sign-up during the workshop or go online
or call 311