October Meeting Highlights
- Park Update
- Sports registration for winter sports starts November 2 and 9.
- Halloween Trunk-or-Treat Oct 28
- Lights on at Park until 10pm on Halloween night
- City Council Update
- Early voting taking place in 4 locations in the City
- 54th Street construction will be suspended for the winter.
- New street light being installed at 60th and Xerxes
- November meeting guest speakers at quarterly Safety Meeting
- New 5th Precinct Inspector Waite
- Asst City Atty, Matthew Wilcox
- Calendar changes for 2017
- Neighborhood wide garage sales, Saturday, June 3
- Summer Festival, Sunday, August 13 (3-7pm)
- FixIt Loan program funds entirely loaned out at this point
Next Armatage Happy Hour
Thursday, Nov 3
4-6pm at Cafe Maude
Meet neighbors, share ideas, express concerns!
Appetizers provided. Cash bar (but great happy hour specials).
The neighborhood association has helped make some improvements in our park building including new signage, new ping pong table and reupholstered lounge furniture.
We will be evaluating outdoor needs at both the Armatage park as well as the Washburn tot lot. Have ideas or suggestions? Please let us know. There is going to be a major park evaluation conducted by the Park Board in 2017 and we want to make sure we get our requests and needs in their plans!
First Time Home Buyer Classes
Nov 19 • Dec 17 9am-5pm $40
Smart, sustainable homeownership starts with solid information. Our Home Stretch course is an in-person, classroom-style workshops taught by experienced professionals. Get objective, practical information to make the best homeownership choices for you and your family. You will learn how to:
- Determine your financial situation
- Manage credit to make homeownership more affordable
- Choose your best mortgage options
- Select the right home for your family
- Understand the loan closing process
- Find down payment help, special loans for first-time homebuyers, and other offers
- And more!
Receiving a homestretch certificate makes you eligible to receive numerous down payment and first-time homebuyer assistance funds and programs. Certificate is good for 12 months.
Receiving a homestretch certificate makes you eligible to receive numerous down payment and first-time homebuyer assistance funds and programs. Certificate is good for 12 months. ***This class does not satisfy the NeighborhoodLift education requirements, but DOES satisfy most other down payment assistance education requirements. Please check with your lender for more information****
Street Sweeping Underway
North/South streets to be swept this Friday.
- “No Parking signs” – City crews will post “No Parking” signs at least 24 hours before sweeping any streets. Parking will be banned from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the day a street is swept. Vehicles not removed will be towed to the Minneapolis Impound Lot.
- Phone calls to residents – During the spring and fall sweeps, in addition to the “No Parking” signs that will be posted the day before sweepers come through, the City will make about 3,500 automated phone calls each evening to let residents know their street will be swept the next day. Listed, residential telephone numbers will be called.
Preschool Information Fair
Saturday, November 5th
10 am to noon
Kenny School Cafeteria
The Fair is designed so that parents can get information from a wide variety of preschool representatives in one convenient location. The Fair is open to all parents, and is free. Limited childcare will be provided.
- Gather information on preschools in and around South Minneapolis.
- Talk with representatives from area preschools.
- Make appointments to visit preschools.
- Take home a packet of information about all of the attending schools.
- Attending schools include: Alphabet Soup, Kinderstube German Immersion, Edina Morningside, Bright Prospects, Urban Arts Academy & more!
Here is a one-page handout describing some of the things you might want to consider when choosing a preschool for your child.
November is Water Quality Month in Tangletown
and we’re inviting residents from other neighborhoods to join us for a couple FREE Events!
Water Quality Forum – November 1st
Join us Tuesday, November 1st for an evening forum with Leslie Yetka from the Fresh Water Society. Leslie will discuss water quality issues in urban areas and strategies for residents to mitigate their impacts and protect our waterways. The forum takes place at Fuller Park (4800 Grand Ave S) – doors open at 6:30pm and the forum starts at 7:00pm.
Water Quality Fair – November 5th
Tangletown is hosing a Water Quality Fair November 5th from 1:30-4:00pm at Fuller Park. Stop by to play games, talk to water resource specialists, check out interactive exhibits, learn how to protect our water resources through simple home practices, and grab a hot beverage and snacks. Exhibitors from Mississippi Watershed Management Organization, Minnehaha Creek Watershed District, Westwood Consulting, the Master Water Steward Program, the Wetland Health Evaluation Program, Tangletown Neighborhood Association, and City of Minneapolis Adopt-a-Drain program will be present at the fair. This is a FREE event open to residents from all neighborhoods, so please bring friends and family! There will also be door prizes!