Green Team Meetings & E-List
The Armatage Green Team typically meets on the second Thursday of the month at 7:00pm outdoors in neighbors’ backyards during the warm months and in case of rain, on Zoom. Register to attend and get each month’s address and back-up Zoom link at bit.ly/ANAmtgs
Interested in joining the Green Team e-list to stay in the loop on volunteer opportunities, upcoming meetings, and environmental programs around the neighborhood? Register at bit.ly/ANAmtgs
Upcoming Events & Programs:
Join the Green Team for a Monthly Reading Circle! The first Reading Circle on All We Can Save – Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis has wrapped up. The next Reading Circle starts in January. Learn more at armatage.org/reading-circle/
Rain & Native Garden Program
The ANA sponsored a low-cost Rain & Native Garden Program again this year. Unfortunately the program has wrapped up for the year but you can learn more at https://armatage.org/programs/rain-gardens/
Green Team Accomplishments:
- Letter in Opposition to the Hiawatha Expansion Project in support of the proposed East Phillips Urban Farm. Approved by the ANA on April 26, 2021.
- Solar Workshop held in March 2021 with the Minnesota Renewable Energy Society.
- Let’s Talk About Plastic series held in January 2021. The series offering free community screening of The Story of Plastic film, a post-screening community conversation, and a free workshop on The Problem with Plastic & Practical Solutions with speakers from the City of Minneapolis, Eureka Recycling and Tare Market.
- Safe & distanced Neighborhood-Clean-ups held in partnership with Litter Be Gone. Teams of volunteers cover our parks, school grounds, and boulevards to gather recycling and trash for collection.
- In-person (pre-COVID) and virtual Organics Recycling workshops that covered examples, tips, tricks, and ideas for home set-ups to help make organics recycling a breeze.
- A multi-organizational Donation Drive (pictured above) where residents dropped off reusable items and the Green Team sorted and delivered them to twelve different local organizations. Held in April 2019, the event collected 117 boxes/bags of items!
- The first-ever Armatage Green Garden Tour where neighbors could stop and visit rain gardens, native gardens, backyard composting stations and more during the neighborhood garage sale.
Adopt-A-Drain: Help Protect Our Lakes, Creeks and the Mississippi River!
When it rains, stormwater carries grass clippings, leaves, cigarette butts, pesticides, fertilizers, antifreeze, paint, gasoline, motor oil, and animal waste directly into Minneapolis lakes, creeks and the Mississippi River. Armatage residents and businesses can help keep our waters clean by adopting storm drains in their neighborhood and committing to cleaning them regularly.
The Metro Area has launched a new version of the Adopt-A-Drain program for residents who want to help keep our waters clean and clear. This new program will make the adopting process easier and quicker. You will be able to adopt or un-adopt storm drains instantly and you will have the option to name your adopted storm drains. You will still find news and tips at the Minneapolis Adopt-A-Drain website, where you can will find a link to the new metro-wide program: https://adopt-a-drain.org/
You will need to sign up on the new website and by creating a user profile and password, you will be able to access the new self-service features. Email AdoptADrain@Minneapolismn.gov if you have issues or questions.