The Armatage Neighborhood Association is teaming up with local nonprofit, Metro Blooms, again this year to help Armatage residents install a low cost rain garden. Slots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis and virtual consultations will start right away:
Fees and Grants:
- You will pay an average of $300-$450 and be responsible for planting and maintaining your garden.
- Additional need-based grants are available through the ANA for residents who meet income guidelines: click here for guidelines and to apply for additional assistance.
How it Works:
- Up to 15 properties in the neighborhood will be able to participate in the program and both renters and home owners are encouraged to apply:
- Renter assistance: not being the property owner at your rental can be a challenge, so our Armatage Green Team will volunteer to help get your garden established, even if you move.
- After you apply here, Metro Blooms will confirm if we have an open slot for you or if you will be on this year’s wait list.
- All participants will receive a consultation with a landscape designer, rain garden design, and installation by Metro Blooms, which is a $2000 value!
- Installations are tentatively scheduled for June 2020 and participants are responsible for planting and maintaining their new garden.
A Note on Covid-19: There are so many unknowns in the weeks and months ahead. Metro Blooms and the ANA have been busy retooling our programs with your safety in mind. If Covid-19 restrictions do not allow for this program to be completed this summer, we will let you know of changes as soon as possible.
Armatage Garden Count:
- 2018: 12 rain gardens
- 2019: 17 rain and native gardens
Benefits of Rain Gardens:
When placed to capture rainwater runoff before it leaves your yard, rain gardens are beautiful and functional landscaping features that protect nearby lakes and rivers.
Rain gardens use native plants to filter rainwater runoff through the soil, instead of flowing into storm drains, and provide year round food and habitat for pollinators!