June Meeting Highlights
- Safety Update – Joined by our Crime Prevention Specialist and a couple of our patrol car officers. Crime stats shared for the past quarter. Year over year, we continue to have a low level of crime. We always see an increase when the weather warms, but most crimes continue to be crimes of opportunity and the police want to remind residents that locking doors is one of the easiest prevention methods residents can take. They also noted, that they can not monitor discussions on Nextdoor. They have no access to read posts or comments on that site, and rely on neighborhood coordinators to help share area concerns.
- City Council Update
- There will be a public hearing regarding the Minimum Wage Ordinance on Thursday, June 22.
- The Sick Time Ordinance will go into effect July 1.
- The Plastic Bag Ban has been put on hold while certain details get worked out.
- Edina recently passed an increase fro 18 to 21 for tobacco sales. Minneapolis is considering this as well as the possibility of banning menthol and other flavored tobacco products.
- The City is aware of the congestion issues along 50th, and are working on ways to alleviate this situation.
- Park Update
- Armatage Movie in the Park was well attended with over 250 people. Kenny’s movie is the original Ghost Busters on August 9.
- Bike locks will be available to borrow from the park desk.
- Fall Sports Registration opens July 5.
- The Green Team passed out pollinator seeds during the movie, and will have remaining packets included in the Welcome Bags to new residents. (Their next meeting will be on Wed, July 5 at 7pm)
- The Safety Team will be planning a personal safety workshop with a tentative date of September 23.
- The ANA will be reviewing their bylaws and policies this fall, with updates to be proposed by early winter.
Armatage Happy Hour
Monday, July 17 • 7:00-9:00pm
Join us for our neighborhood happy hour, and a last chance to say farewell to Cafe Maude which will be closing at the end of July.
Appetizers provided by the ANA. Happy hour pricing on drinks.
NOTE: We are hoping to find a new venue to host this new neighborhood tradition.
Saturday, August 13 • 3:00-7:00pm
3:30pm – Magic by Bruce
4:00pm – 3rd Lair in the Skate Park
5:00pm – Live music by White Elephant
Games • Food • Car Show • And more!
Keep up to date on our website and Facebook.
We welcome volunteers (middle school-age on up) to help with running carnival games, selling wristbands, and with set-up and tear-down. We encourage you to sign up with a friend!
- Register to participate in the car show
- Check out some of our auction items! More coming soon!
Around the City
In an effort to frame the future of neighborhood organizations across the City, a number of meetings have been held. Participate in their online survey, view current results, and learn more about these discussions online.
Lake Harriet Trail Update
West Lake Harriet Parkway closed to motorized traffic between 42nd and 44th Street through mid-July. Keep up to date online or sign-up for email updates.
Parks Ecological Survey
Help develop the Ecological System Plan, a vision for more environmentally friendly parks and public spaces.
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) and Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) are working together to create the Ecological System Plan. This plan will set a vision for making parks and public lands more friendly to the environment.
Ecological System Plan topics include:
- Air Quality Issues
- Biodiversity and Habitat Quality
- Carbon Sequestration
- Habitat Connectivity
- Stormwater Runoff
- Sustainable Energy Generation
- Urban Heat Island Effect
Take the survey and learn more online.
New Airport Reporting Tool
The MAC releases new reporting tool tracking noise and complaints.