January 21, 2020 Meeting Agenda
- Welcome & Introductions
- 2020 Census – David Rubedor, Director of NCR & Casey Carl, City Clerk
- Summer Festival Planning Committee
- Sister Neighborhood Pilot Presentation – Denis Houle
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update
- President’s Report
- 2020 ANA Annual Meeting
- Minutes – approved via email
- Treasurer Report – financials emailed
- 2019 Year End Financials
- Committee Updates:
- Green Team
- Supplies for 2/26 Organics Recycling Workshop
- Mini Grants:
- Info Sessions
- Green Team
- Other Business
Meetings are open to all community members and are held the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm at the Armatage Recreation Center. Join us and learn more at armatage.org!
First Annual Armatage Chili Cook-off
Friday, January 24
Armatage Park Fire & Ice Skating Party
Do you claim to have the best chili? Put it to the test and sign up to compete against your neighbors and claim the prize of the best chili in the neighborhood at Armatage Park’s free Fire & Ice Skating Party. Register here by this Sunday, January 19 to participate (and rumor has it some well known guests will come to help judge). It’s free to compete and just $5 to eat.
Come for Chili & Skating
Help judge our competitors’ offerings! Come to the Chili Cook-off to taste each entry and vote for your favorite chili in Armatage. The cost to eat is $5 per person and tasting is open to all (we’ll ask our competitors to label major allergens). Bring or borrow skates and enjoy music and cocoa as part of the Fire & Ice Skating Party and help us crown the neighborhood’s 2020 Chili Champion.
If you have a neighborhood project or idea you’ve always wanted to explore, apply now through February 29 for up to $1,000 from the ANA to support that dream.
Any resident or organization connected to Armatage is eligible and some funding restrictions apply. Learn more at armatage.org/mini-grants and catch us at two upcoming Info Sessions to share your project ideas and get your questions answered:
- Thursday, January 30 • 7:00pm • Book Club (5411 Penn Ave S)
- Tuesday, February 11 • 7:00pm • Armatage Park (2500 West 57th St)
Join your neighbors for an Organics Recycling CONFIDENT(ial) workshop on Wednesday, February 26 at 7:00pm at Armatage Park! Whether you are already recycling organics and ready to up your game or still thinking about taking the plunge and getting started, we will cover examples, tips, tricks, and ideas for home set-ups to help make organics recycling a breeze.
Free to attend. Light refreshments and free compostable bags provided. Questions? Email email@example.com
Honor the Legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with Three Celebrations at Mpls Parks
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) will host three free community celebrations on Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday, January 20:
- Lunch and performances, 11:00am-2:00pm at Powderhorn Rec Center: celebrate the history of Martin Luther King, Jr. with performances and lunch. Free and family-friendly.
- Music, dance and soul food, 3:00-4:30pm at Central Gym: come and celebrate the life and movement of Dr. King with recitals, choirs, music, dance, a guest speaker, and an old-fashioned soul food dinner.
- Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, 6:30-8:30pm at Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center: the holiday culminates with this annual celebration, featuring jazz and dance performances and keynote speaker Roger Cummings, Founding Principal and Chief Cultural Producer at Juxtaposition Arts.
Comprehensive District Design Studies & Listening Sessions
Minneapolis Public Schools is in the midst of its Comprehensive District Design process, which aims to increase equity and close student achievement gaps in MPS. Two new studies released last month examine the district’s magnet programs and community school boundaries.
MPS plans to release a proposal with school and boundary changes in late January and will hold community listening sessions over the next month. Community members can also submit feedback online. If passed by the school board later this spring, proposed changes would begin to take effect in Fall 2021. Learn more about the Comprehensive District Design process here.
Lake Harriet Kite Festival
Saturday, January 25
Kites of all shapes, sizes, colors, and themes will fly over frozen Lake Harriet. Other fun family activities at the festival include ice fishing, snowshoeing, and a marshmallow roast. Click here to learn more.
Art Shanty Projects 2020
Saturdays and Sundays | 10am-4pm
January 18 – February 9
Bde Unma / Lake Harriet
Check out this year’s Art Shanty Projects at artshantyprojects.org/. Suggested donation $10-20. No one turned away.
Community Connections Conference
Saturday, February 1
Minneapolis Convention Center
Free (including lunch and bus pass!)
Sign up for part or all of the City’s upcoming Community Connections Conference. This free, public event brings together residents of Minneapolis, community groups, neighborhoods and decision-makers to connect, learn and address community issues. A fabulous lunch from local restaurants is provided free along with free bus passes to the event.
Learn more, check out the breakout sessions, and sign up at minneapolismn.gov/connectionsconf