January 15, 2019 Meeting Highlights
- ANA heard from local nonprofit, My Very Own Bed, which delivers beds, mattresses, and bedding to children and youth ages two and up throughout the community who are transitioning to stable housing.
- Armatage Park’s Fire on Ice event happens tonight, Friday January 25 from 6:30-8:00 pm.
- SW Parks Plan Initial Design Concept Workshops start Thursday, January 31 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the Lynnhurst Rec Center. Staff will also be at ANA’s February meeting to present plans and get feedback (community members welcome to attend).
- ANA will compile pedestrian safety recommendations for 54th & Penn and start a grassroots outreach to businesses, residents, and visitors through signs and social media.
- Red Wagon Pizza Company is applying for an upgraded liquor license. The Public Hearing on this application will be held Wednesday, January 30 at Armatage Rec Center from 6:00-7:00 pm (more info below).
- ANA is developing a new neighborhood micro grant program – stay tuned for more information later this spring.
- The first Green Team meeting of 2019 takes place Wednesday, February 6 at Armatage Rec Center (more info below).
- The City is holding its annual, free Community Connections Conference on February 2 – register here through January 30 at 12:00 pm.
- Council Member Linea Palmisano will host an upcoming Ward 13 Summit on Wednesday, February 27. Topics include the 2040 Comprehensive Plan, Neighborhoods 2020, and the City’s Vision Zero pedestrian safety initiative.
- ANA voted to approve funds for updated accounting and design software.
Jan 25 – Fire on Ice Family Skating Party (6:30-8:30 pm)
Feb 6 – Armatage Green Team meeting (6:30-8:00 pm)
Feb 19 – Monthly Meeting (6:30-8:00 pm)
Mar 9 – Fix-it Clinic (12:00-4:00 pm)
Mar 12 – Neighborhood Happy Hour (7:00-9:00 pm)
Mar 19 – Monthly Meeting (6:30-8:00 pm)
Fire on Ice Family Skating Party
Fire on Ice is happening TONIGHT, Friday, January 25 from 6:30-8:30pm at Armatage Park! If it’s too cold to skate safely, the fun moves indoors for a dance party with cocoa and popcorn. See more details here.
Armatage Park Ice Skate Drive
Have unneeded new or gently used skates? Please consider donating them to the Armatage Rec Center. Kid skates are preferred, but all sizes will be accepted.
Senator Scott Dibble (61), Representative Frank Hornstein (61A), and new Representative Jamie Long (61B) will hold a town hall meeting on Saturday, January 26 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. This event is an opportunity to preview the upcoming legislative session, ask questions, share stories and perspectives, and meet their elected officials.
When: Saturday, January 26 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Where: Mount Olivet Church (Administration Building, Door #3)
5025 Knox Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55419
Who: Senator Scott Dibble, Rep Frank Hornstein, Rep Jamie Long
- Parking: Free street parking is available in the Mount Olivet parking lot. Look for the Administration Building sign and enter door #3.
- Transit: Metro Transit buses number 4 and 46 stop less than a block from the venue, at the intersection of James Ave. S and W. 50th Street.
- Biking: There is a bike rack located along James Ave S.
Public Hearing Notice
The City of Minneapolis will hold a Public Hearing on Wednesday, January 30 at 6:00 pm at the Armatage Rec Center (2500 West 57th Street) on Red Wagon Pizza Company‘s application to upgrade its current license from On-Sale Wine/Strong Beer to On-Sale Liquor with no live entertainment, with Sunday Sales.
The City is collecting comments on this application – please send them to Inspector Mohamed Ismail at 612-673-3904 or Mohamed.email@example.com
Help Shape the Future of SW Parks
The Southwest Parks Planning team will host four upcoming Initial Concept Workshops in January and February. Everyone is invited: please bring family, friends, neighbors and others! Each workshop has the same format and park design concepts and includes kids’ activities and refreshments. Photo credit: Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
Thursday, January 31, 2019, 6:00-8:00 pm
Lynnhurst Recreation Center, 1345 W Minnehaha Parkway
This workshop will also have information on the Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan.
Monday, February 4, 2019, 6:00-8:00 pm
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center, 4055 Nicollet Ave. S
Thursday, February 7, 2019, 6:00-8:00 pm
Whittier Recreation Center, 425 W 26th St.
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 6:00-8:00 pm
Jones-Harrison Residence, Centrum Room, 3700 Cedar Lake Ave.
Can’t make it? All of the initial park concepts on display at the public workshops will also be posted to the SW Parks Plan project page (minneapolisparks.org/sw) on Jan. 31, along with a link to an online survey where anyone can submit feedback on any design.
Excited about promoting sustainability, clean water, and zero waste throughout the neighborhood? The Armatage Green Team will hold its first meeting of the year on Wednesday, February 6 at 6:30 pm at the Armatage Rec Center. Meet neighbors, get involved in your community, and learn all about the great green initiatives happening in Armatage! Photo credit: Minnehaha Creek Watershed District
Can’t make it but want to get involved? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the Green Team e-list