July 16, 2019 Meeting Recap
- Minneapolis Public Schools Board Member Ira Jourdain spoke on district updates around busing including higher wages for drivers due to the shortage and a new transportation app for families, updating the district’s math curriculum, and the Comprehensive District Design which is considering two main re-zoning options.
- The Armatage Summer Festival is coming up on Sunday, August 11 (see below for more details)! The board approved funds for a new screen printing station for kids and adults to screen print their own heavy duty organic cotton tote bag (bring their own shirt from home).
- The ANA approved its 2019 Mini Grant Recipients! This year’s funded projects include:
- A community art mural, led by Donté Mearon
- A shared neighborhood thermal camera to pinpoint air leaks for home energy improvements, led by Milo Oien-Rochat
Armatage Summer Festival
Sunday, August 11
4:00 – 7:00pm
Celebrate Armatage with music, games, food trucks, inflatables, face painting, raffles to support the neighborhood, demos and activities for all ages at our annual Summer Festival on Sunday, August 11 from 4:00-7:00pm at Armatage Park.
Click here to learn all about this year’s event!
New this year: screen printing!
For just $12, screen print your own heavy duty cotton tote for library books, groceries, etc. Or bring your own plain cotton t-shirt to screen print for $8. Perfect for showing your Armatage neighborhood pride year-round!
Sign up for the Summer Festival Car Show
Got a vintage, unique, hybrid or plug-in/EV car? Sign up to showcase it at the Summer Festival’s Car Show on Sunday, August 11 from 4:00-7:00pm! Festival attendees will vote on Kid’s Favorite and Overall Favorite with the winners taking home a gift card to a neighborhood spot. Sign up to be a part of the 2019 Car Show!
Volunteer at the Summer Festival
Need some fun volunteer hours for you, your older child or teen? The ANA has several volunteer openings at the Summer Festival to help attendees learn how to compost and recycle their discards. Volunteer for a portion of the festival and get a free wristband or raffle ticket as a thank you. Sign up in a team or solo: it’s quick, easy and we’ll help you learn everything you need to know at the start of your shift!
Sign up here and help support our community’s efforts to be zero waste!
ADA 29th Anniversary Celebration Today!
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law 29 years ago and continues to be one of the most comprehensive civil rights laws, protecting the rights of and prohibiting discrimination against people with disabilities. Honor the ADA at this year’s celebration with speakers, music, art, and refreshments!
When: Friday, July 26 from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Where: Anderson Center at Hamline University (774 Snelling Ave. N, St. Paul, MN 55104)
RSVP: RSVPs are not required to attend the event.
Accommodations: ASL interpreters, CART, and audio description provided on site.
National Night Out
Tuesday, August 6
Learn more about NNO and register your block here. The deadline to register for a free permit to close your street passed but you can still register for permit for $100 through July 29.
The following blocks in Armatage don’t have a block leader registered yet. If you live on one of them and are thinking of getting to get more involved, hosting a National Night Out potluck block party with your neighbors is a great way to try it out:
58XX WASHBURN AV S
59XX WASHBURN AV S
61XX WASHBURN AV S
56XX XERXES AV S
57XX XERXES AV S
59XX XERXES AV S
60XX XERXES AV S
59XX VINCENT AV S
65XX THOMAS AV S
61XX THOMAS AV S
56XX PENN AV S
57XX PENN AV S
60XX PENN AV S
61XX PENN AV S
59XX OLIVER AV S
61XX QUEEN AV S
Additional Meetings Scheduled for Southwest Parks Master Plan
The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board is in the midst of discussing plans for parks and park-owned properties in Southwest Minneapolis.
If you’ve been meaning to get to a Community Advisory Committee meeting, you still have a few more chances. Snacks and passive children’s activities are provided. Please contact Cindy Anderson at 612-230-6472 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request language, access or interpretation accommodations.
CAC Meeting #13
Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, 6-8 pm
Lynnhurst Recreation Center, 1345 W Minnehaha Parkway
CAC Meeting #14
Monday, Aug. 19, 2019, 6-8 pm
Kenwood Community Center, 2101 W Franklin Ave.
Can’t make it?
- Check out the designs for Armatage area parks here.
- See all the updated concept designs for SW here.
- Give feedback through an online survey here.
Minnehaha Creek Master Plan
New concept designs are also available for the Minnehaha Creek Master Plan. Follow the link above for more information on that project.
Fall Coaches Needed
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking enthusiastic volunteer coaches for youth soccer, flag football, and volleyball.
- Practices start in August for soccer and football, October for volleyball
- Athletes range from 5-18 years old
- Teams practice 1-2 times per week
- Games/meets are scheduled for a weeknight and/or Saturdays
- MPRB will provide orientation for all new coaches
- Can’t coach this fall? We’ll need coaches for basketball, hockey, gymnastics, and wrestling this winter
Click the button below to receive more information or to express interest in MPRB volunteer opportunities. Call (612) 230-6493 or email email@example.com with questions.