November 16, 2021 Minutes

ANA Meeting Minutes

11/16/21 / 6:30 PM / Zoom


Samantha Bild, Adriana Dobrzycka, Joel Federer, Vikisha Goberdhan, Eli Johnson, Ethan Komoroski, Nikki Lindberg, Sharla McIntosh-Ziegler, Kevin Ross, Judy Vecere

Not in attendance: Janhel Leandre


Lauren Anderson (Coordinator), Jordan Nelson (Armatage Park Director), Joyce (resident and business owner in Armatage)


October meeting minutes approved via email. Updated financials were sent via email.

6:30    Welcome and Introductions (Joel Federer)

6:35    Park Update (Jordan Nelson, Armatage Park Director)

  • Park Board has announced a soft reopening for after Thanksgiving (masks are still required at all times in the building).
  • Ice rinks will be back with benches outside. Warming rooms TBD.
  • Current programs: youth and adult volleyball, youth gymnastics
  • Registration is now open for Jan – May programming
  • Question about ice skate donations (need to see what they need, because they have very limited storage space, but can always use skates)

6:44    Edits and Approval of Remaining Policies (viewable online)

  • Americans with Disabilities Act Policy – presented one small addition. Discussed combining this policy with the Language Access so the overlapping issues and processes can be in one place. But after discussion, felt best to keep separate and have the language portion of the ADA refer to the Language Access Policy.
  • Language Access Policies – small edits made.
  • Financial Policies & Procedures – key points to highlight:
    • To allow the coordinator to spend up to $100 each month toward pre-approved expenses, with anything above $100 requiring board approval.
    • Creating a Google form for committee members to submit receipts and reimbursement requests. Reimbursements will be allowed for the approved budget totals and for qualifying expenses without additional board approval.
  • Board Training (PowerPoint)
  • Board Strategic Funding Plan (focuses on what the organization’s plans are if the City funding were to go away)
  • Board Development Plan
  • Member Hiring Policy (states that when hiring, it is best practice to hire someone from outside the neighborhood. For staff that are from the neighborhood, there is a stated two-year waiting period for joining the board.)
  • Motion to approve all of the above policies. Seconded. Motion carries.

7:27    Coordinator’s Report

  • Give to the Max Day – Thursday
    • Please share on your social media. Ideas for content are always welcome.
  • CPP Contract Clean-out Vote: Transfer $30 from Occupancy to Staffing.
  • Motion to transfer the $30. Seconded. Motion carries
  • Proposed 2022 Newsletter Timeline ($1,400 printing + $300 postage + 7 hours of staff time = just under $2,000 per issue)
    • April 15 (April/May/June events and programs including Annual Meeting & Board Elections)
    • July 15 (July/Aug/Sept events including Meet Your Community Helpers and Food Truck events)
    • October 15 (Oct/Nov/Dec events plus any early winter programs that fit)
    • January newsletter – cut
  • Volunteers for ANA Website Working Group
    • We need to update our WordPress template and refresh our site, and would like to work on this during our quieter winter months to create a list of recommendations for our website.
    • Joel, Joyce (?), and Ethan willing to do some research and UX input.
  • Committee Work Plans
    • Each committee has been working through their planning document with 2-4 events for 2022. Each will host one of the senior workshops. Each will have an annual budget, and determine how to meet any funding gaps. Committees will present in December.
  • December Meeting Date – will keep on the 21.
  • Red Wagon inquired about a business facade grant. We have discontinued the program because of budget concerns, and since they have been a past recipient, we are unsure if we’d grant additional funds even if they were available. Lauren will send other resources
  • Holiday tours coming up!

7:54    Staffing Contracts

  • Lauren/Coordinator
    • Current hourly rate, annual cap and weekly hours presented
    • Discussion that board members should be helping more regarding social media posts and article writing. Hours should be less stressed from the policy creation requirements that won’t be required in 2022.
  • Motion to continue at her current hourly rate with an annual cap (for an average work week of 15hrs). Seconded. Motion carries.
    • Claire/Bookkeeper
      • Duties outlined in Finance Policy.
  • Motion to continue with contract as currently written with $2,000 cap for bookkeeping services ($40/hr). Seconded. Motion carries.

8:26    Committees (3 minute updates)

  • Community Engagement
    • Events, micro grants (potential)
  • Safety, Equity & Outreach
    • Started our 2022 plan and will be working on our December presentation (Community Helpers Event, Movie, Tech event for Seniors)
  • Green Team
    • Zeroish, book club, and other 2022 plans
    • 6 gardens (we fund design only) and 2 scholarship recommended with one designated for Xerxes Manor
    • Early stages of a grant proposal

8:20    New Business

  • None

Meeting adjourned at 8:34


  • December 2 – Community Engagement Committee (6:00-7:00pm, Zoom)
  • December 4 – Safety, Equity & Outreach Committee (10:00-11:00am, Zoom)
  • December 9 – Green Team Meeting (7:00-8:30pm, Zoom)
  • December 10 – 22 – Holiday Light Tour (6:00-8:00pm,
  • December 21 – Monthly Meeting (6:30-8:30pm, Zoom)