Armatage Neighborhood Association Meeting
Meeting was called to order at 6:30 by Board President, Denis Houle.
ANA board members in attendance: Denis Houle, Nikki Lindberg, Tom Alagna, Kelly Falsani, Bri Keeney, Sarah Broich, Steve Johnson, Betsen Philip
Others in attendance: Tina Erazmus, ANA staff member; Nikki Friederich, Park Director; Dan Walsh
Park Update by Nikki Friederich, Park Director
- The new winter/spring program brochure is available online. Link will be on ANA website. Registration opens December 8th at 6 pm.
- Basketball registration is open.
- Romp and Play event had 44 people the first day, which was a big success! This event will continue through the winter.
- Park is starting to think about/plan for skating rink. Goal is to be open by winter break. Schedule is posted on website and at the building.
- Anyone interested can sign up for email alerts on Minneapolis Parks website for park related info.
- Armatage Park opens at noon on school release days.
- Upcoming events: Friday, January 23rd 6-8 pm will be a “fire & ice” event at the park; January 17th is the kite festival at Lake Harriet
(Councilmember Palmisano emailed updates because she was unable to attend this month)
- People are getting ticketed for parking within 5 feet of driveways (city is being strict about this).
- City is working on better snow removal and focusing on corner clearings.
- Budget meetings are happening now along with public hearings regarding the budget. Any concerns should be communicated as soon as possible to the councilmember’s office.
- Construction will be starting on 54th between Penn and Lyndale. Meeting scheduled to get resident input: Dec 2nd 6:30-8:30 at City Church.
- Upton bikeway- roundabout has been removed. Traffic study has been conducted and a solution will be determined in the spring.
Report from board president Denis Houle, who also serves on the NCEC
NCEC is sending a statement regarding the mayor’s proposed budget, expressing disagreement with her philosophy on TIF funding. NCEC is proposing more strict deadlines vs. taking the money away from neighborhoods.
Board had a discussion about sending a statement from the neighborhood. Tina will rally supporters from networks and possibly submit a statement from several neighborhoods. Tina will draft statement and email out to board for approval.
Housing Loan Update
Committee has been meeting and is aiming for a spring launch of the home loan program.
A handout was provided to the board with specifics on suggested loan program details that were determined by the committee
Board engaged in discussion about these details:
- Suggested reducing the loan time frame for emergency loans to five years.
- Needs clarification that people could only participate in one program or the other at any given time
- Needs a strict “cap” for the emergency loan amounts (suggested 8,000 as a cap)
- Suggested that Home Improvement loans must be paid back within 7 years
- Question was raised: Is there a way for us to opt out of the partnership if board chooses? Answer: Yes, and any outstanding Armatage loans would continue getting paid back to Armatage.
- Suggestion for each neighborhood to recommit annually.
- Small group committee met to determine details of CPP budget. Committee looked at previous budgets along with neighborhood priorities. (Handout showed detailed budget numbers as determined by committee)
- Approx. $11,000 will roll over annually for neighborhood priorities.
- Betsen made a motion to approve the budget with Tom’s amendment to change the final year staff salary to 9600. Motion seconded by Tom. Motion passed unanimously.
Lance couldn’t make it to meeting but sent an update: We put in for an advance through CPP for staff salary payments. Suggestion for going forward- every quarter we should take our advance instead of end of year.
- We received a $50 donation on Give to the Max Day! Donor will receive a handwritten thank you.
- Nikki and Tina are working on a safety newsletter. Safety event will happen in place of January meeting. Newsletter will go out late November or early December.
- A Park tab is now on the ANA website for easier access to park updates and information.
- It was an exciting year! Coordinator hopes to be more proactive in the next year.
- Board met without coordinator present and then reported back to ANA Coordinator with feedback
Next ANA meeting will be December 16th at 6:30 pm
Board discussed helping to promote “Fire and Ice” park event that will happen in January. No motions were made regarding this.
Meeting adjourned at 8:04 pm.