April 26 Meeting Agenda
The ANA postponed its April 20 meeting to better support our community, especially our BIPOC neighbors, after the verdict. All are welcome to join next week’s rescheduled meeting. Register to attend at http://bit.ly/ANAmtgs
- Welcome and Introductions
- Update from Armatage Park Director Jordan Nelson
- Open Discussion on the Trial & Community Safety
- 2021 Annual Meeting & Board Election
- Leadership Roles & Transition Planning
- Coordinator Update:
- Armatage Play Area Update
- Hennepin County Archives
- City Funding Update
- Committees – 3 Minute Updates:
- Safety, Equity & Outreach
- Community Engagement
- Green Team
Register to Run for the ANA Board by May 9
Please consider running for the Armatage Neighborhood Association’s Board of Directors. Board members have a critical role in shaping our neighborhood nonprofit for years to come. These past weeks and months have reinforced how critical strong, local communities are.
Members of underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to run for the board, including renters, seniors, residents with disabilities, and residents who identify as LGBTQ or BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and/or People of Color). Learn more about what’s involved and register to run by May 9 at https://armatage.org/2021boardelection/
Spring Tea & Blooms
Saturday, May 8
2:00-4:00pm | Armatage Park
Grab your mask and join us for afternoon tea at Armatage Park! Jinx Tea and Sparrow Café will take orders outside, soon-to-open neighborhood spot Café Cerés will share samples, and the ANA will give away take-home kids’ planting kits (supplies are limited). Pick up a free book from Jump! and complete a scavenger hunt and enter to win a gift card to a neighborhood business!
Thank you for following our safety guidelines by wearing a mask during the event, keeping 6 feet of distance from everyone outside of your household, and bringing your treats home or into the park to enjoy. In case of severe weather, cancellations will be posted on Facebook, Nextdoor, and Twitter.
Armatage Annual Meeting
Tuesday, May 18
6:30-8:00pm | Zoom
Join your neighbors for a virtual Armatage Annual Meeting! Register at https://bit.ly/ANAmtgs to hear from the leaders of Armatage Reparations & Equity Action, connect with State Representative Jamie Long, City Council Member Linea Palmisano and County Commissioner Marion Greene who will each provide updates with time for questions, win a gift card to a local business, hear board election results, and learn what the ANA is doing for our community.
Online Board Election: May 11-18
Make your voice heard and vote in the Online Board Election from May 11 through May 18 at 7:30pm. All Armatage residents 18 years and older and designated business/institutional representatives are able to vote in the election through an online form that will be posted at armatage.org on May 11. Please see above for more details on running for election!
Reflect Before You Post
With emotions running high, it is important to take a moment to reflect on our words and how they may affect your neighbors. Before hitting “post” consider:
- How would you feel if someone directed your statement at your child/parent/significant other/etc.?
- Would you share this point-of-view at work/church/public meeting?
- Would you say this comment in-person to the individual or group of people you are referring to?
The ANA will continue to compile safety resources through the August trials at https://armatage.org/trial/
Community Safety Workshops
Nonviolent Peaceforce is holding Community Safety Training Workshops on April 24th, May 8th, and May 22nd from Saturday from 11:00am-5:00pm (optional breakfast will be provided for participants at 10:00am) located outdoors in the Little Earth Neighborhood (meet at Cedar Ave S & 24th St E, Minneapolis, MN 55404). All are welcome to register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CommunitySafetyWorkshop Wear a mask and plan to distance. Seating and lunch provided.
The Community Safety Training Workshops focus on preparing individuals and communities for handling community safety concerns and situations. The learning objectives are rooted in Unarmed Civilian Protection (UCP) and aim to supply participants with skills for approaching safety concerns and providing a safe space for the community. Learn more at https://www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org/articles/940-cst
911, 311 & New Minneapolis Tip Line
If you need assistance, there are a few different avenues to get help:
- Call 911 for emergencies where someone’s safety is at risk that requires an immediate response from police, firefighters, or medics.
- Call 612-673-5335 or text 847411 to report suspicious activity directly to MPD that doesn’t require an emergency response (example: reporting a fast-moving car without license plates or spotting something odd in an alley)
- Call Minneapolis 311 at 311 or 612-673-3000 or email Minneapolis311@minneapolismn.gov for non-emergency concerns.
Armatage Welcome Bags
Have you or someone on your block recently moved to Armatage? If so, we want to bring you an Armatage Welcome Bag! The groovy, reusable tote bag’s contents include useful information on the ANA, elected representatives, governmental services, local businesses, and a couple of fun items to welcome you.
- Homeowners: be on the lookout for friendly ANA volunteers Ethan (pictured) or Kevin with a Welcome Bag with your name on it! They’ll swing by to do a masked, distanced drop-off.
- Renters: if you are a renter who moved in during the past year or if you own a rental property in the neighborhood and have new tenants, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know where we can drop off a Welcome Bag!
Get Involved on an Armatage Committee
Neighbors are encouraged to join an Armatage Committee and get involved. Currently, most meetings are held on Zoom. Click on each group’s link below to learn more. Register to attend a meeting at https://bit.ly/ANAmtgs
- Safety, Equity & Outreach will next meet on Saturday, May 1 from 10:00-11:00am at Armatage Park. Kids welcome and plan to wear a mask.
- Community Engagement next meets Thursday, May 6 from 5:30-6:30pm on Zoom.
- The Green Team will next meet on Thursday, May 13 from 7:00-8:15pm.
Street Sweeping is Here
Street sweeping began this week. See the schedule and get ready to avoid a ticket and tow at https://www.minneapolismn.gov/getting-around/parking-driving/street-sweep/